Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thoughts, Sometime in the Nights

I get my sleeping habits from dad, we both can sleep through pretty much anything. But lately, insomnia has stuck me, I can barely sleep and even when I do, it’s a highly disturbed one. And so my brain is severely sleep deprived, headaches rule my days, my leg’s still not healed and I am generally rather irritable these days. Livid is the word. A friend in office heard me snap and asked me if I was livid, a new word being tried out. Yes I am livid. And I kind of like that word too!

Well, given no sleep and all that, I have a lot of time to think at times, not at all a good thing, considering how things are at the moment. I have been getting a lot of reading though these days. I write at this hour now because I need my own words and the strength that an intimacy with them brings me. I write because I am thinking too much, thoughts that are flitting across my mind like those awful music videos with semi-clad women and incomprehensive lyrics. You know the kind I mean, the images on the screens are gone before your brain has the time to register them as a human form or otherwise. I hate that kind of fast editing. I hate some of the thoughts in my mind, I was happier without them.

Ok, the thoughts. Random things strike, some important, some I don’t write here. Just some thoughts. And some randomness to clear some space in my mind:

* The leg is yet to heal, darn. I continue to miss my walks.

* I had to use my credit card for something today (this story is to also say I got a new credit card! LOL) and was fidgeting about what the password was. Now that bothers me, how many online accounts I, and most people I guess, have. Cyber experts say that you should avoid having the same password for all accounts. But then, how do you remember so many?

I was trying to count how many accounts I have: Gmail, Yahoo, Flickr, Picassa, Blogger, Facebook, are the most usual culprits, of course, though most of them are interlinked, one id and password works. Then there is my online library, my bank, my office mail and HR portal for all my leaves, expenses and stuff. Then there is a railway account to book tickets, accounts in cinema halls to book tickets again, account with a travel portal for more bookings and holidays, a few music websites to download music and an umpteen others! Phew! And I am not even as much on the net as some people I know are. Its tiring to remember all these passwords.

* At least some roads near office have new boards by the city corporation. I don’t remember seeing the board to Church Street before. Maybe its something to do with the city elections next month.

* I didn’t like the prime minister announce voting rights for non-resident Indians today. It was the lead story in my paper and I cringed as I picked up my copy today. Don’t ask me why, I don’t like the idea. You can pounce on me, but I refuse to get into a discussion about it. I just don’t like it.

* The new poster man (he’s hardly a boy) for Indian science, the new Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was in Bangalore recently. I am glad I did not go to his lecture. I didn’t quite like his attitude about India. Sure he is a fancy US chap now, but it wouldn’t have killed him to be a little happy that he is getting so much of attention. Plus his name is as Indian as a name can be. I wonder why we make such a production of claiming successful people as our own, even if those people themselves would rather not be identified so. We didn’t spare Obama either; the story about the little picture (or was it an idol) of Hanuman that he carries was met with awhs! And oohs! I don’t get it.

Do people in other countries behave the same way? Do they go ga-ga over their heroes who have settled abroad and made their millions or earned their Nobels elsewhere?

On that note, I am attempting to read Chomsky’s Manufacturing Consent again. I find the theme of the book fascinating.

* These days, I am trying to make the perfect ‘saaru’ or rasam as most of you would know it. Its one of the simplest south Indian dishes ever, but I didn’t quite realise how tough it is to perfect it. They say that there are as many recipes for the humble saaru as there are households. The perfect blend of dal, tomato and onions, seasoning, the right amount of water, just the right salt and spices, ‘ingu’ (asafoetida) and a dash of lemon in the end gives you the most mouthwatering aroma. I tried out one of ma’s recipes today, it quite neared perfection. I loved the mystery of the combination of all the ingredients.

You know what, cooking is actually turning out to be a great de-stresser these days! Never thought I would ever say this!

Never thought I would ever think all the things I think either.

No comments: