Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quote Time

I almost wrote 'quote hanger' as the title, then realized it is an oft abused phrase in newspapers and given that I was one of the ilk of people struggling to get one of those, I thought the better of it. In real life (as we referred to, to the 'life' apart from journalism), you would have no idea how much time goes into making an article with several quotes in them. It is ridiculous how difficult some people you want to talk to for your story are to get.

Anyway...

Once a while, here is where I write quotes that I related to when I read them. With the standard disclaimer that it is NOT meant to be some indirect message to anyone. These are JUST words I liked and wished were mine. (It's ridiculous how people believe I am out to get at them through this blog!)

* One can promise actions, but not feelings, for the latter are involuntary. He who promises to love forever or hate forever or be forever faithful to someone is promising something that is not in his power. -- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, philosopher


* This is the world in which over every door is written the slogan: "The generation of experiment and revolt is over. Bohemia died in the Twenties. There are no more little magazines."' -- Kenneth Rexroth

* "...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone." From the film Shawshank Redemption


* "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe (loved this! What gumption!)

* How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;--- Alexander Pope

(Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, the movie, is a good one, by the way. I like films that make me use my mind a little)

* And the last puff of the day-wind brought from the unseen villages, the scent of damp wood-smoke, hot cakes, dripping undergrowth, and rotting pine-cones. That is the true smell of the Himalayas, and if once it creeps into the blood of a man, that man will at the last, forgetting all else, return to the hills to die. --Rudyard Kipling

* When tig and the boys got back, they all ate the biscuits, with honey on them, and drank tea with hot milk in it. -- Margaret Atwood from a short story 'Moral Disorder'
(I loved the simple descriptive line there, just like that.)


1 comment:

DIVYA said...

wow!!!!!!!!!