Monday, August 15, 2005

INDEPENDENCE DAY!

To all Indians and to all the freedom loving people of the world- HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!! At the stroke of midnight on August 15, 1947, my beautiful country became free from British colonialism. There is a lot I could write about how difficult the long walk to freedom was, the sacrifices... but I could never write it with the passion with which it was fought. I have been free from the day I was born. Even when I was growing up, my parents gave me a lot of freedom, sometimes more than I deserved. More than anything else, I have always been free to think. I can think what I want and even say them outloud, though within some legal parameters.
To me freedom is mental freedom. No body tells me what to think. I am free to go where I want. That means more to me than the freedom. Just like in 'Braveheart', I believe there is no life without freedom. Though to me patriotism is more a word than a passionate feeling, I am free.
Again, happy Independence Day! Jai Hind!

2 comments:

San Nakji said...

Hope you enjoyed the day. Korea's own independence day is also on 15 August, but two years before India in 1945. The regular broadcasting that I enjoy on Korean TV was interrupted by independence celebrations, grrr

Jonathan Wonham said...

Dear Deepa

It is great that you appreciate this freedom so deeply. I am also glad that India is independent of Britain. It would be intolerable if it were not.

My grandmother used to work as a maid for the British primeminister Lloyd George in his country home.

She is now dead, but I remember her telling me how she saw Ghandi when he came to visit Lloyd George in September 1931. She remembered seeing him sitting in the garden meditating while she was working in the house.

Best wishes, Jonathan